Drug and Alcohol Statistics in Wisconsin

Wisconsin is one of the most beautiful states in the country. It enjoys coastal regions along its Great Lakes, as well as abundant farmland and rolling forests. In spite of all this natural beauty, the state has been plagued by the drug and alcohol crisis that is being seen across the other 49 states. Additionally, both drugs and alcohol have been contributing to a declining quality of living and poor health across the state.

Apart from alcohol, there are various substances of abuse being taken in Wisconsin. They include heroin, marijuana, cocaine, synthetic marijuana, and methamphetamine, among many others.

Most of these drugs have been causing an increase in the rates of addiction in Wisconsin, as well as leading to the bodily harm, death, and incarceration of hundreds of thousands of local residents.

Luckily, Wisconsin has a good number of addiction treatment centers that can provide you with the recovery services you need to overcome your substance abuse and addiction. Read on to find out more:

Specific Data and Statistics on Drug Usage in Wisconsin

A total of 29,358 people enrolled for addiction treatment and rehabilitation services in Wisconsin in 2010 only. Of this number, 29.2 percent were female while the remaining 70.8 percent were male.

The N-SSATS - the National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services - also conducts annual surveys that have been showing a decline in the total number of facilities that offer addiction treatment services. These facilities decreased to 290 by 2006 from 324 centers in 2002.

The rates of illicit substance abuse in Wisconsin - including drugs like marijuana - have remained historically below or at the same level as national rates for every age groups. However, the rates of alcohol abuse in the state tend to be higher than similar levels at the national rate for every age group. However, this is mostly true for people aged between 18 and 25.

The state is also ranked among the top 10 in the nation in terms of the rates of unmet needs for alcohol addiction treatment. This is mostly true for people aged between 18 and 25 years.

At the same time, the rates of unmet needs for drug use treatment has generally been below or at the same level as the national rate. This is particularly so for young adults in Wisconsin.

Commonly Abused Substances in Wisconsin

A wide variety of substances are abused by the residents of Wisconsin. However, it seems like some drugs are more commonly abused than others.

1. Alcohol

In 2010, a total of 15,008 people checked into an alcohol and drug rehabilitation program for being dependent on alcohol in Wisconsin. An additional 5998 people received similar treatment services for being addicted to alcohol alongside another additional substance of abuse.

2. Cocaine

The same year, a total of 1,514 people received substance abuse treatment services as a result of developing an addiction from smoking this substance. An additional 270 people received these services for ingesting the substance through other means like snorting, intravenously, or taking it by way of mouth.

3. Marijuana

Data from Wisconsin shows that marijuana is among the drugs that are most commonly cited by people who enroll in an addiction treatment program in the state. In 2010, for instance, a total of 2817 people checked into these programs for abusing marijuana and developing dependence and addiction to it.

Of this number, 22.1 percent were female while the remaining 77.9 percent were male. People aged between 21 and 25 years also comprised the largest age group to report that they used this substance on a regular basis.

4. Amphetamines

The same year, a total of 308 people enrolled for alcohol and drug rehab services for abusing amphetamines. Of this number, 42.5 percent were female while the remaining 57.5 percent were male. A total of 30.5 percent of these people were between the ages of 26 and 30 years.

5. Prescription Drugs

The prescription drug abuse crisis that has been sweeping across the United States has not left Wisconsin untouched. In 2010, a total of 1709 people checked into drug rehabs in the state for abusing opiates (other than heroin).

6. Opioid

Studies from 2013 through to 2014 show that about 4 percent of all the residents of Wisconsin above the age of 12 used prescription pain relief medications for a non-medical purpose.

During this time, the 4 percent use rate reported in Wisconsin was similar to the rates of prescription substance abuse in the country. However, studies have shown that young adults have a higher risk of abusing these prescription medications at a rate of 9 percent.

Number of Rehabs Available In Wisconsin

The last US Census report shows that the state of Wisconsin had a population of 5,362,884 people. During the same time, the substances that were most commonly abused in this state included Suboxone, Tranxene, Trazodone, Molly, LSD, Dilaudid, Percocet, heroin, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, and methamphetamine.

If you have been abusing any of these intoxicating substances - or any others - it is recommended that you check into a drug rehab center. At the moment, Wisconsin has about 414 centers that provide addiction treatment services. These centers can help you overcome your substance use disorder.

Types of Rehab Available In Wisconsin

There are different types of addiction treatment and rehabilitation facilities and centers in Wisconsin. These centers include:

a) Inpatient Drug Rehabs

Checking into an inpatient addiction treatment center in the state means that you will live in it during the entire course of your recovery journey. Most of these centers, however, are classified into 30, 60, or 90 days recovery programs. However, you can also find extended care inpatient rehabs. In these centers, you would ideally spend longer than 90 days receiving the treatments that you need to overcome your substance use disorder.

It is recommended that you choose inpatient care if you have a severe substance use disorder or if you have been diagnosed with a co-occurring medical or mental health disorder over and above your addiction.

Inpatient treatment might also be suitable if you need to spend a prolonged time overcoming your addiction. This way, you would get the opportunity to focus on your ongoing recovery without worrying that you could relapse.

If your home environment could increase your risk of relapse, you might also want to consider inpatient treatment. This is because inpatient rehabs can protect you from the external environment - thereby reducing your risk of relapse.

b) Outpatient Drug Rehabs

Wisconsin also has several centers that offer addiction treatment and recovery services on an outpatient basis. If you choose this form of treatment, you will be required to schedule several meetings every week at the rehabilitation center. After your treatment has been completed for the day, you can either go back to your own home or live in a sober or transitional living facility.

Outpatient treatment is ideal if you have been diagnosed with a mild or relatively new substance use disorder. In such a situation, you would not need the intensive treatment offered through inpatient drug rehabs to be able to achieve a state of sobriety.

It is also recommended if you have responsibilities and obligations at work, school, or home. In this case, you might not always be able to get the free time that would allow you to check into an inpatient center long enough to overcome your addiction.

You might also choose outpatient drug rehabs if you have already been through an inpatient treatment program. This form of treatment is known as a continuum of care. Through it, you would be able to benefit from both inpatient and outpatient drug rehab until you achieve full sobriety.

c) Intervention Services

The state also has a wide availability of intervention services. This means that you can get in touch with a professional interventionist to help you work towards encouraging your loved one to seek help with their substance use disorder.

d) Alumni and Aftercare Services

You can also use the alumni and aftercare services available in Wisconsin to help you remain focused and inspired by your recovery goals. Often, these services include but are not always limited to:

  • Community outreach programs
  • Mentorship programs
  • Online recovery resources and support groups
  • Peer support groups
  • Self-improvement classes
  • Sober-living homes

Hospital Statistics Form Drug Overdoses and Drug Related Admissions in Wisconsin

Substance abuse has been causing the death rate in Wisconsin to shoot up. In 2016, for instance, drug overdose death rates in this state surpassed similar rates at the national level. That year, Wisconsin suffered an overdose death rate of 15.8 deaths for every 100,000 segment of the population while the national rates were at 13.3 deaths for every 100,000 population segment.

Statistics on Drug Arrests in Wisconsin

Drug and alcohol abuse was the cause of 639 deaths in 2007 alone in Wisconsin. The same year, the state lost 488 lives to incidents involving firearms and another 809 lives to motor car accidents. This goes to show that the rates of death in the state are significantly high enough to warrant national attention.

The state also has a relatively high number of drug arrests. Although there are no exact figures, the fact that more than 600 people lost their lives as a result of drug and alcohol abuse goes to show that significantly more people end up in drug courts and in the criminal justice system due to these substances of abuse.

If you have been abusing drugs or drinking alcohol in Wisconsin, it is recommended that you check into an addiction treatment program as soon as possible. This might be the only way that you could potentially save your life.



Ready To Get Help?

We can help you find the right treatment facility in Wisconsin that best fits your overall needs.

Fill out this form.
100% Free and Confidential